- What is Interlibrary Loan (ILL)?
- Who may use this service?
- What may be requested?
- How do I request materials?
- How long will it take for my requested material to arrive?
- How do I find out the status of my request?
- What are my responsibilities as borrower?
- Will I be notified when my request comes in?
- How long can I have the borrowed material for?
- Can I renew the borrowed material?
What is Interlibrary Loan (ILL)?
Interlibrary loan is a service whereby ILL staff obtains materials not available in the Potter Library from other libraries.
Who may use this service?
This service is available to any current Ramapo student, faculty and staff with a valid identification card and who has no blocks on his/her borrowing privileges.
What may be requested?
You may request any material that we do not own including books, journal articles, DVDs, videos, theses and dissertations. However, the policies of lending libraries differ and we cannot guarantee that they will let us borrow the item that you requested.
How do I request materials?
Before submitting a request, please check the online catalog to make sure the book is not already available at Potter Library or check Journal Finder to ensure that the article is not electronically available through our online databases. You may fill out online request forms for books/media or articles as well as paper forms (available from the Reference Desk).
How long will it take for my requested material to arrive?
It can take three weeks or more for books and journal articles.
How do I find out the status of my request?
Please wait three weeks before calling the ILL staff about the status of your request. The ILL staff may be reached at 201-684-7579.
What are my responsibilities as borrower?
- Borrowed items must be returned to the Circulation Desk by the due date as indicated on the band attached to the item.
- Late or damaged items may be subject to fees as determined by the ILL staff.
- NOTE: We ask for your cooperation in returning the borrowed materials promptly so as not to jeopardize our good relations with the lending library.
Will I be notified when my request comes in?
Patrons will be notified by email when the item is received. Items may be picked up from the Circulation Desk during scheduled hours.
How long can I have the borrowed material for?
The loan period is determined by the lending library. The due date will be indicated on the band attached to the ILL item.
Can I renew the borrowed material?
If you would like an extension please call the ILL staff at 201-684-7579 at least two days before the item is due. They will then call the lending library and request for an extension.